Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Substance versus quantity

Ah.... yet another year pass and it's time for the SPM results to be announced, yet again. I can hardly remember mine since it's been eons ago (14 years to be exact!). Anyway, I'm not gonna blurt about the excitement of getting one's results or the anxiety attacks one goes through before walking into the HM's room to collect the result slips. You guys out there would have already gone through all that.

What I DO realise is, the amount of subjects students are taking on their SPM compared to our time is like... makes us oldies seem kinda incompetent, no? Just today, The Star paper mentioned a certain lass's possibility of scoring 19 A1's! I remember having to take 9 subjects and I thought I was already taking one too many. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, despite all that additional subjects and all that A1's, it seems that our students still have a long way to go in terms of English efficiency (that goes for nearly all races, mind you!) and also independent thoughts. Of all the young 'uns I've met, almost everyone couldn't speak simple, proper English, and almost everyone is dependable on others to tell them what to do and when to do. I think our education system is training our youths to be followers, with no room for creative thinking. Think about it, I've interviewed so many graduates that seems very potential on paper. But when it comes to the actual work, they drown like a sinking weight. So, more A1's that 14 years ago? It may look good on paper, but I have my reservations lah.

No comments: