Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Food for thought


I feel compelled to pen down my thoughts today. Last night, I was enlightened by true experiences that made me realise how blessed my life has been. I had an unexpected guest knocking on my door just as I was about to have my dinner. It turned out to be a long time friend who happened to be living in the next block. Well, since he was at my doorstep, I decided to invite him in to share my dinner while we chatted.

It was during this time that I actually had the chance to know my friend deeper. You see, he's always portrayed himself as the know all, super macho kinda guy. Makes you feel a bit meluat sometimes, you know what I mean? He was excited to tell me all about his first paint ball game he had the day before and I listened as he spoke with gusto and showed me the bruises he got from the game. In return, I also showed him some of the photos taken during my recent holiday. We continued to chat and somehow, we began to talk about our younger days. That was when his real story revealed. You see, my friend works in the clubbing business all his life and his life is, well, kinda wild. I thought that was something that he loves and that's why he chose that career path.

He later told me that he ran away from home when he was 16 because he was abused by his step mother. He came to KL with only the clothing on is back and no money. He has slept on the streets and also lived with street urchins, pooling in whatever money they have to feed their stomach. At that point, I began to understand why he was always extremely protective over his friends and was extremely proud of his belongings. Before this, I always thought of him as a bit of a show off. Everything was build with his sweat and blood. He literally begged for a job at a club at that time and was later waiting tables at the club illegally because he was underaged. All these while, his family didn't came looking for him and neither did they bother to send him any money. He eventually worked his way up and became what he is today. He was a real life Oliver Twist. I have immense respect for this guy now that I understand him more. My life achievements are so small compared to what he has gone through. My life is extremely blessed, yet I complain all the time. In every success like my friend here, I wonder how many who did not make it due to drugs and exploitation. Makes me wonder that there is so much more out there we have not experienced.

No comments: