Thursday, July 10, 2008

Malate, Divisoria & Greenhills

After 12 hours of non-stop traveling ala Amazing Race, I decided to tuck in early so that I will be able to wake up fresh the next day to explore the city and then later in the evening, meet up with my prospective suppliers for dinner. One thing that I've discovered about the Philippines is that food here isn't that great. Bummer! Well, at least to my tongue, it isn't. They tend to eat a lot of greasy, deep fried food. They also like their food drenched with a lot of salt or vinegar (which I'm allergic to). Pork meat and rice is also a big part of their meal. They eat A LOT of it!!! Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think most Filipino's eat 3 times more rice than an average Malaysian.

Anyway, the place where I stayed, Malate, used to be an area exclusive to the Spaniards during the Spanish rule. However, as years gone by, the place has transformed and is now known as the the watering hole and party place in Manila. Malate is also know as Little Tokyo and Little Korea, since many Japanese and Koreans have since settled around this areas to set up their businesses.


Stumbled upon this huge Chinese Temple 2 doors away from my hotel.


Close up of the fresco paintings on the roof gables

I then went off to Divisoria, which is actually a connecting section of Chinatown in Manila. This is where the wholesalers market are located. There are lots of fabric materials as well as clothing for sale here.

One of the restored buildings in Divisoria


A shop selling religious items

Santo Nino, a local patron Saint

Next, I braved the traffic towards the other end of Manila to San Juan City, where Greenhills is located. Greenhills is another wholesaler market selling everything and anything under the sun. The complex is huge and newer that the one in Divisoria.

Greenhills Promenade. Lot's of international brands here.

Lots of food too. They even have Penang food!

I was told that this place is good for home interior shopping as well as those who have bags and pearls fetish. Since I'm more of the "home boy" person, this is what I found interesting...

Nice embroidered canvass pillow cases.

With matching drapes and table runners

Love this chandelier stall!

They even sell replacement crystal pendants for the chandeliers

I love this local mahogany table and chair set. It's not a knock down unit. The whole set is solid wood.

Very good quality finishing too. The price is actually very reasonable. Only RM1200!

Another nice piece of furniture. Also solid Philippine Mahogany.

Absolutely fell in love with this candle holder. Apa lagi, terus beli untuk sendiri! Hehehehe!


I think this is the only trip where I did all my shopping in Day 1. :-P Lepas tuh, terus makan loti lor!!! Huhuhu!!!

3 comments:

Honeylemon said...

wah... nice la candle holder tue....x penah nmpak before this.... patutnyer u beli la byk 2 pastu jual kat kedai u.. mark up la lebih ckit.... hehehe....

akupunyahal said...

hayoo i like i like that table.. and the candle holder tooo.. hayoo how much that candle holde tuh?

ginseng4desoul said...

Honeylemon: Chantek kan candleholder tuh? Itu custom made ler. Dia hanya buat 2 kecil 1 besar. I songla semua untuk umah I.

Malim: Hayoo I memang suke kedua2x nye yer. Kalau table tuh tak berat, I dah angkut sama pon. The candle holder is only RM120. Murah kan? Custom made piece lagi.