Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mountains & valleys... and of course Bala's!

You guys do realised that I've been tormented and tortured by a string of numskulls of late. Funny to think that these people have peas for brains. Actually, I shouldn't be so mean. Perhaps some time back during the days of crop circles and UFOs, these poor creatures were abducted by aliens and had their brains switched with peas (and had their ass prodded, amongst other stuff). Alas, I took SP's offer to head up to Cameron Highlands before I go postal on my staff and loved ones.

I was actually quite excited over the trip since the last trip (actually, my ONLY trip) was when I was 4 years old. The only memory I had on that trip then was the barfing. It happened all the way up, and all the way down. I practically turned my intestines inside out from that trip. Perhaps that was the reason why I never went up again until now.

Anyway, we decided to take the road from Simpang Pulai, which is longer but the ascend was gradual and the road less winding. Least to say, we arrived with no casualties and certainly no intestines hanging out from the mouth. X)

We had made earlier reservations at this place called Bala's Holiday Chalets. Honestly, we took this place because it was within the price range and with such an unassuming name, we didn't have very high expectations. We saw Bala's signpost and turned into a narrow driveway leading up a hill slope. The property was away from the main road. Once we reached it's modest parking lot, we saw the most beautiful turn of the century Tudor styled cottage, complete with a lush English garden, ivy creepers and all the works! One would really thought that they have been transported to Devon shire, England. Imagine the delight that was in stored for us! We couldn't wait to explore the place. The only downside was I forgot to bring my digicam. I kicked myself and am still kicking myself for that. It turned out that Bala's Chalet was built at the turn of the century as a boarding school for the English planter's children who settled in Cameron Highlands. It was then called the Tanglin Boarding School. Mr Bala bought over the property 30 years ago and turned it into a guest house. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr Bala. He was a great guy and recommended several places since we told him that we wanted to hike and do some serious walking. About the property, he said that it was his dream to own this place (he was a local boy) and finally had the chance when the place was put up for sale. He even lives on a section of the main house with his family. His side of the house had the vistas of mountains and of course his glorious garden. I'm so jealous! The place was filled with European nick knacks and it was also one place with the most swings I've ever seen. Every corner has at least one swing. I guess with that kind of weather, everyone will want to be outdoors. We decided to soak in the "Englishness" of the place and ordered afternoon tea at the gardens. A steaming pot of highland tea and freshly baked scones were served with homemade jam and clotted cream. The meal was scrumptious and the garden setting was more that we can ask for. I actually think that Bala's garden is much better than the Ye Olde Smokehouse. We spent the day exploring it's library, sneaked into the other empty bedrooms (they will leave the vacant room doors open to air the rooms), and went up the attic to explore as well. It was truly a marvelous place to be in. The dining room even have a fireplace where Mr Bala will light up every night, indicating that dinner time is ready.

We rose early the next day from the crow of the resident ayams. The crisp air and clear sky was perfect for walking. We went to town for breakfast and decided to do the river trekking first. It was actually very short and we did the entire circle in less than 30 minutes. Upon Mr Bala's recommendation, we drove up to Brinchang to visit the Sungai Palas "BOH" plantation.

Sungai Palas tea plantation is one of the oldest and largest tea plantations in Malaysia. We saw the most spectacular view as we drove along the narrow roads that snaked around the tea bushes. We were quite amazed on how the tea leaf pickers actually reach the tea bushes since most of the plants were planted at almost 45 deg angles. We parked the car at the visitors car park and decided to "bush walk" to the visitor's centre and factory. The visitor's centre is quite new and it actually has a "hanging" terrace where visitors can sit and have tea, while enjoying the breathtaking view of the plantation. Sitting there with a steaming hot cuppa was divine! I felt like I've died and gone to heaven. We then joined the complementary tour of the tea processing plant. It was a pretty simple and and short process, actually. I would have imagined some super high tech machinery, but they were still using the same machines they had since the 1930's! Anyway, the tour was very informative and well planned. We found out that "BOH" is still owned by the same Mat Salleh family who started the plantation. The grand daughter, Caroline Russell is now the CEO of "BOH" Tea Plantations. We spent the rest of the day trekking into the plantation. I don't know how far we walked, but it must have been pretty far since we realised that we have walked for more than 3 hours non stop. The weather was excellent for trekking in Cameron Highlands. How I wish KL's weather was a little closer to this.

Anyway, the 2 days passed by quickly and like the saying, "all good things will come to an end," we found ourselves packing up the car and ready to leave this little paradise. Well, at least I know for sure that it won't take me another 20 years before I decide to visit Bala's and Sungai Palas again!

4 comments:

Peanut Kong said...

Bala's Chalet looks good. Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Didn't know you trek ... :P

ginseng4desoul said...

Leanne: You should stay there. The price is definitely cheaper than Ye Old Smokehouse. Actually, the trekking idea was more of my frieds. But I'm proud of myself that day. I managed to keep up without losing my breath or passing ouut! LOL! I

oliviasy said...

last time i went to cameron was... forgot which year dy, but a few years back lah. went wif tantan & my family some family frens. stayed at equatorial (not i pay mar XD). i wanna go bek to cameron holiday~

ginseng4desoul said...

Oli: Nice hor... this time try Bala's with Tantan lar... the place is spectacular!