Wednesday, November 08, 2006

We are equal...but we are not

Yesterdays news report from DPM clarifying the status of "Bangsa Malaysia" is just plain disturbing, dumb, stupid, etc... He said the term "Bangsa Malaysia" is solely a state of mind for all citizens of Malaysia but it will NEVER include the special quotas, rights, and assistance that were reserved for the Malays. If that is the case, why bother with having that term anyway? I'm expected to love, serve and die for my nation as a "step child?" Is this what our Govt. is trying to imply to all non-Bumis? Sounds like it. It's just that they don't have the balls to say it to our face. I'm a third generation Malaysian. My great grandfather made Malaya his home when he first set foot on these shores. After more than a century, I'm still an "outsider" in the eyes of our govt. Sad isn't it? Imagine if my great grandfather's ship went off course and landed in California instead. I would probably have the same rights as any other American today, regardless of my race and color. Not that I hadap sangat to be an American, but that would have been a pretty good example on what's lacking in this otherwise prosperous nation, isn't it?

The newspaper's full of surprises lately with these colourful comments and showing dirty politicians getting away scott free with their evil doings. I wonder what's next? All non-Bumi citizenships will be revoked? Hmm.... maybe that's not such a bad idea after all.

No comments: