Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008... and Hello 2009

I know it's a tad bit early for this entry but I have a feeling that I won't be online when the time comes for me to make this entry tomorrow. I'd probably be somewhere stuck in traffic or something, while new year revelers are ushering the new year around KL.

I know I've been away from this blog for a long time particularly towards the end of this month. Well, I've been busy... yes, that is true. But the real truth is much more than just being busy. So much has happened lately that my world has probably turned upside down and I was floating like a lost coconut in this huge sea of opportunity. You see, I've been unhappy and been questioning my career path for the longest time. I've been running several businesses that were fairly successful but still I wasn't happy. In fact I've been so unhappy to the point of depression. Yes... I was in a state of depression for a while. It's sad...it's pathetic... and I know that if I didn't do something about it, I would be eaten up and be left a hollow shell, like a corpse without a soul.

I did what I needed to do... I had to choose. So, I've chosen. I've decided to leave the shipping industry for good. It's been a long 10 years but I guess all that experience meant nothing if I have been so miserable and continue to be miserable doing things I have absolutely no passion for. I've let go everything that I've built, along with the emotional baggage that was being lugged around for so many years. It was a scary thing to do. Letting go of something that was familiar, even though you know you hate it. After all, that was what's been paying the bills all these while, along with the little luxuries that I've been enjoying.

But I'm glad I did it. I stepped out of that comfort zone and it's not so scary after all. I am able to think straight and focus on bigger things. Things that meant something in my life. And all good things have been pouring in endlessly since. I thank God for opening my eyes and giving me the courage to finally do the right thing for myself.

In 24 hours, we will be seeing a new year. I'll be embracing it with gusto and I believe that this new change will be good for me. I don't know what new adventures I'll stumble upon along the way but what I know is I've to start loving myself a little more each day, if I want the world to love me back. So, here's to embracing a new year and a new life. I dedicate my favorite song from Dina Caroll, "The Perfect Year" from the musical Sunset Boulevard to all my dear friends.

5 comments:

oliviasy said...

neighbour, tony organised a potluck tonite at his hse. come join us la. check ecc for details.

Mena Ryan said...

Happy New Year!
(I think that it's 2009 in KL right now...)
Quick check, it will be 2009 in a half hour.
It's good that you are getting out of something that is making you miserable. You're right, you'll find something to pay the bills. All the money in the world can't make up for an ulcer, stress, and being generally depressed. Good luck with what you do end up doing and have a wonderful 2009.

ginseng4desoul said...

Oli: Thanks for the invite. But I was celebrating in KL! :-P

Mena: Yep! Happy New Year to you too! It certainly wasn't worth it.

nuruliz said...

Good for you...to make an impact you have to go to the extreme...good luck with the 'new you' and whatever happens you have friends and family that will always be by your side through good and bad times..

ginseng4desoul said...

nuruliz: Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It is indeed true that family and friends do come in handy at time of needs. :-)