Thursday, May 31, 2007

A new beginning

It is sad that despite all the achievements human kind have championed and gained, many more are stuck in a state of oppression. The American Black community fought long and hard during the 50's and 60's for their rights to live equally among the Whites. The Africans fought hard against the Apartheid for the simple right to live. We are seeing the same struggle now in our homeland when a woman fought for her rights to choose her own religion. It is quite sad that she was denied that choice simply because she was born a Muslim. As we know, there is this ruling in our country that prohibits a Muslim from converting to any other religion. However, how does one justify a person's religious status is permanent when he or she doesn't even practice it anymore? In the end, the Religious Department will only have a number. But how many are actually practicing is another story all together.

I'm sure many may may disagree with me on this just because it touches on a religious aspect, but I'm going to voice out my opinion anyway. I believe that for a nation to move forward and be progressive, the people must have a freedom of choice. Be it religion, education, job opportunity, etc... Otherwise, what's the point of forcing people to be what they are not? In the end, all you have is an impressive number. I know that this case will bring a change. It may take a long time, but someone started to question it's relevance. I'm sure many more will also step forward in the near future. Our people are better educated now and changes are inevitable. Perhaps one day, the laws will allow them the freedom of religion, just like how I wish, that one day I will have the equal rights and benefits as they do.

No comments: